With the development of cloud computing, Internet service providers have developed systems that allow storage, and sharing of data with high performance, good stability and horizontal scalability. For example, let’s take a look at SAN storage technology.
- What is SAN storage?
Network storage can be interpreted as a method of accessing application data on a network where the transmission of data on the network is similar to the process of transmitting data from familiar devices on the server such as Disks Drivers. ATA, SCSI. SAN storage technology is a powerful data storage system that connects all network-related storage resources, ensuring high data rates (Gigabit /sec) between peripheral storage devices.
SAN storage technology
- Benefits of SAN storage technology.
- Easily share storage and management information, expand storage easily through the process of adding storage devices to the network without the need to change devices such as servers or storage devices. And each storage device in the SAN is managed by a specific server. In the management of the SAN using Network Attached Storage (NAS) allows multiple computers to access the same file on a network. And today it is possible to integrate SAN and NAS into a complete information storage system.
- SANs storage technology are designed to take advantage of storage features, allowing multiple servers to share a single storage device.
- Another application of SAN storage technology is the ability to allow computers to boot directly from the SAN they manage. This allows for easy replacement of faulty servers while in use and can be reconfigured to allow for easy server changes or upgrades, and the data is unaffected by server failures. And that process can take only half an hour to have a Data Centers system. And designed with extremely high data rates and system security is considered to be the top issue.
- SAN storage’s functions.
- Storage is accessed by block through SCSI
- High I / O performance
- Separate Storage Devices and Server
- Easy storage sharing and information management.
- Easy storage expansion through the process of adding storage devices to the network without the need to change devices such as servers or storage devices.
- Allow multiple servers to share a storage device.
- Allows to change or upgrade the server easily and data is not affected when the server fails.
- Types of SAN.
- A specific type of SAN storage technology is the FiBre Channel SAN, which is built by the Fiber Channel Switch, which is connected to the devices via fiber optic cabling. Today, most SAN systems utilize Fiber Channel routing solutions, and provide significant scalability to SAN architectures that allow for the integration of SAN systems.
- Another type of SAN is using the iSCSI protocol that uses the SCSI protocol on a TCP / IP platform. In this form, the switches are similar to Ethernet switches.
With the advantages of SAN storage technology, it has become a very good solution for storing information for businesses or organizations. It really has the influence on storing industry.